23.11.05

Out of Slavery




"I never liked jazz music because jazz music doesn’t resolve. But I was outside the Bagdad Theater in Portland one night when I saw a man playing a saxophone. I stood there for fifteen minutes, and he never opened his eyes.
After that I liked jazz music.
Sometimes you have to watch somebody love something before you can love it yourself. It is as if they are showing you the way.
I used to not like God because God didn't resolve. But that was before any of this happened."
-- Donald Miller, author of Blue Like Jazz.

I just finished reading the book Blue Like Jazz by Donald Miller. Every four years or so I read a book that rocks my perspective on existence. This is one of those books. I was drawn in by the transparency of the author. I really enjoyed this book. It has promoted, in me, spiritual growth and meditation on various issues like grace, social responsibility, faith, relationships, and community.
I support the reading of this book, to be sure.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the book "Orange Like Hairdo." It was an amazing read about the tribal wars between the penguins and the mosquitos of south suburban Toronto.

No, seriously, I finally checked your blog J. I like it. Keep it up. I think I will start one of my own.

Chris

09:44  
Blogger Firelance said...

WELCOME TO THE BLOG WORLD! Sorry I'm a loser and don't call you back. I will check your blog regularly. GET NUST!!

22:43  
Blogger The Raging Paradoxidation said...

OK, I have my own blog now.
http://thereluctantdisciple.blogspot.com

13:42  

Post a Comment

<< Home