22.8.06

The Mystical

I just got back into Des Moines after spending a couple of nights at my church's camp, which is convieniently located a mere 1.5 hours south of the metroplex. My pastor gave me the keys and sent me on my way. 36 hours without any human interuption.

At first, being alone for an extended period of time gets weird for me. At least my past experiences were strange, to say the least. This time was different, though. I figured it would be. I did have two specific goals in this retreat; to study God's word with "ears to hear," and to rest. I had a bit of time to think about what I believe, things i've believed in the past, and what I should believe.

This train of thought brought me to the recently erected topic of mystical spirituality, and the practices thereof. Its great timing, because of Chris's current post, and it's a great subject for me to tackle because of my "dual nature" concerning the issue.

The mystical and creative nature of my being desires these same types of connections with God. I am mystical. I, unlike a lot of my friends, am very emotionally driven. Apeal to my emotions = apealing to my core being. When I focus on the mystical (relate emotionally to) aspects of Christ, I tend to forget about the other ways that God speaks to his church (through His word, and Nature).

I know these are all connected, but my emotions happen to be the most turbulant aspect of my life. Relating Christ to this is obviously dangerous.

I have a hard time finding that medium between mystical and anylitical.

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger Jason said...

I hope I did'nt come off as "concerned." I like what you are doing. I think its great. I also agree that you can't have one without the other (Marrige is such a great example)

I linked your post because I was refering to you as someone who is discovering the "other side of the coin." I lack the "Fundumentals." I think we probably compiment each other well.

I would venture to say that emotion, or our emotional response, is what makes the mystical so mystical. Would you disagree?

I really want to clarify that I was'nt attacking you. I am on a journey too. We are one body.

God bless you.

13:38  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well said, Jason. Reading this post makes me want to be lonely for a couple days too.

16:06  
Blogger Spoon said...

What was the outcome of your studying the Word?

Do you believe that a mystical spirituality is ontologically an emotional one?

23:00  
Blogger Jason said...

Spoon, I am not to sure how the word "ontologically" applies, but it has been my experience that the mystical experiences I have had with God have been based on emotion, or at least my emotional response.
Ther is a balance, however, between the mystical and the tangible. I have a hard time balancing the two.

Les,
I think this is the first time you have posted here. I am honored

00:22  
Blogger The Raging Paradoxidation said...

I have heard it best said that "at its rawest form- being a mystic just means that you have experience what you know."

Many have unexplainable experiences.

Many have knowledge with no application or understanding.

Mystics tend to have both.

Don't strive too hard to find the balance though because then you'll really get off to one side more than the other without effort.

22:31  
Blogger Jason said...

I also should clarify that my experiences with God, although always in some way mystical, probably have been more emotionaly centered, rather than that delicate balance of the other ways that the Lord speaks (creation, people, and His word). Each one of these contains, what our limited minds would call, mystical aspects. The easiest way that I relate to the mystical charactoristics of God is through emotion.

Maybe the most pressing matter, beyond this simple balance, is'nt an issue of theology, but rather an issue of the heart. I want to know God. Really know Him. Not know about Him, but actually connect to His throne. A key factor in this seems to rest in the statement "The fear of the Lord is the beginning of all knowledge, but fools dispise wisdom and instruction."
True knowledge about God, or "knowing" God seems to start at this point of reverencial fear.
For so long, I believe that my relationship with the Lord has been hindered because of a lack of fear. I connect well with the mystical, because its easier for me. Its easy for me to love God with my emotions. But do I love God with my soul, mind, and strength? I am on a path, just like Blogbarger, just like Chris W., and anyone else that cares to read this. I am overjoyed to talk to you guys, my friends, about this path, because this journey is the reason that I am still here. Its the purpose of my life. Its why I was created, praise God.

23:39  

Post a Comment

<< Home