10.4.07

All I Want For Christmas Is A Dark Room

I was perusing a gypsy camp in Des Moines about a year and a half ago, when I stumbled upon a box under a table of baby clothes (and when I say table, I mean two saw horses with a piece of plywood on top). The box had all kinds of worthless stuff in it, except this little treasure. I picked up the camera, and approached the head gypsy. " Who did you kill to obtain such an item," I asked? After assuring me that no murder took place, I moved on to the inevitable moment of the garage sale haggle. "How much for this camera? I don't think it works." "Mmmmm....... five bucks?" "Will you take two?" sold.
I finally dusted it off today, and took it into a photography store, where they were able to explain to me that not only was this a great deal, but this is how you load something called film.
I am absolutely enthralled that this camera is actually in great working order. I look forward to learning how to use it.

4 Comments:

Blogger Spoon said...

How can you put a price on such a thing, especially if it be stained with gypsy tears?

And before somebody says "hey, I'm a gypsy, and I don't appreciate your having fun at my people's expense!" let the record show that Kucera is a Bohemian name, and the "Bohemian lifestyle" was so called because it was thought that the gypsies who first embodied it originated in Bohemia.

23:29  
Blogger Spoon said...

Also, if you're not studying photography under Curt Starr by the time classes start in the fall I will expect a pretty damn good explanation. I mean you'll really have to sell me on your failure to develop your obvious visual talent.

23:32  
Blogger Jason said...

I am looking into DMACC for the fall (at least a photography course).

03:44  
Blogger The Raging Paradoxidation said...

i'm glad to hear that you are looking in to the class. anja took a class from a photographer here in town and not only did she really like it, she also learned how to take some pretty kick-ass shots....with cameras that use film

21:05  

Post a Comment

<< Home